At 5.16, my father announced My son will be an engineer. - Farhan Qureshi. B.Tech. Engineer And my fate was sealed What I wanted to be... no one asked -Farhan[3 Idiots]
Dear readers, 3
Idiots to dekhi hogi aapne. Then you know what I am talking about. India is a
trend following country. We people are very good at following trends. Engineering
has also became one of those trends not traits. The Indian parent logic is that
if it’s a boy he must become an engineer and if it’s a girl she must become a
doctor. Doctor is preferred for girls for some reason[I don’t understand why].
This is like a old ritual which Indian parents are following like some blind
folded people. For them there are no other education or career options. As I
was growing old I didn’t even knew that there are other career options. I didn’t
even knew they existed forget about opting them. I am pretty sure this might
have been the case with many of you.
This case is better
applicable with middle class families. For some reason, engineering degree is
considered as a Kamdhenu cow which will help them overcome the economical
crisis and lead to a better life. Believe me,Indian parent dreams of the day
when they will be standing in queue along with their children before engineering
college to get a seat with the hope of getting a lucrative job on completion of
their professional education.
[Stats Check] There are about 4300 engineering colleges in the country alone. 1.5 million engineering pass outs are coming out of these colleges every year. 20-33% out of the 1.5 million engineering graduates passing out every year run the risk of not getting a job at all. For those who do, the entry-level salary is pathetically low.
[Reality Check]Plenty of booming sectors for better career prospects:1.Career in law2.Career in animation3. Career in fashion design/interior design4.Career in hospitality5. Career in event management6. Career in media/journalism……and many more…..
The good news is that
after so many years this trend is changing. Other career options are being chosen.
Slowly and hesitatingly students are raising their voice that they don’t want
to opt for engineering. Readers, its time for a change. Time to choose your
professional life wisely. At last it’s your career, you have to life with the
choices you make for the rest of your life, not your parents. Think about it.

No comments:
Post a Comment